Experiencing a fire isn’t something many people can say they have done and even fewer have gone through more than once. With no experience, it isn’t surprising that you would have no clue about the right and wrong ways to proceed while you are waiting for fire damage restoration professionals. Instead of plunging forward and hoping you are doing the right thing, check out these dos and don’ts so that you best support fire damage restoration efforts.
- DO avoid walking around your home or business and try to limit other activity in the area as well. Added contact with furnishings and flooring can push the soot deeper, causing more damage and making it more difficult for fire damage restoration efforts.
- DO change the filters in the HVAC system if it will be in operation, but DON’T operate the system if it is not safe to do so.
- DON’T attempt to clean any surfaces yourself as you could cause more damage or even permanent damage.
- DON’T attempt to clean kitchen appliances or use them as the fire could have damaged the wiring, making them unsafe.
- DON’T attempt to salvage any food as fire and smoke will have ruined most everything and the fire damage restoration professionals will dispose of it safely and properly to avoid it being consumed.
If you have experienced a fire at your Charleston, South Carolina home or business, know that these are just a few of the dos and don’ts that you should know about. The best thing to do is stay out of the building as much as possible and call us at Restoration 1 of Charleston to begin with a thorough inspection and get started on a plan for effective and safe fire damage restoration.